July 2021 Minutes

MINUTES FOR JULY 6, 2021 TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
MEETING WAS HELD IN PERSON AT HOT SPRINGS CITY HALL

109 MAIN ST, HOT SPRINGS MT 59845

AND IT WAS HELD VIA ZOOM 

CALL TO ORDER by Mayor Woods at 7:08 pm

ROLL CALL: Graham, Smith, Stelter, Woods, Gray     Absent- Weatherly

Also Present- Starla Rice, Scott Vollmer, Ladonna Vollmer, Emmitt Tucker, John Carlbom, Cody Scott

APPROVAL OF MINUTES- June town council meetings Smith/ Stelter 3-0 pass

PRESENTATION OF CLAIMS– claims include gravel purchased for street repairs and repair of transmission in Fire Rescue truck Stelter/Smith 3-0 pass

FINANCIAL REPORTS incomplete due to timing of meeting and holiday, will email to council next week and approve at next council meeting. 

REPORTS

MAYOR= Woods gave Mayor’s report.  We have been very busy trying to keep up with ARPA requirements.  There are three parts: A, B, and C.  We have applied for and received the first half or part A, and we are working with Morrision Maierle Engineers on the competitive portion of the ARPA funding. One of the grant applications is due by July 15th. One of them opens on July 15th.  The information on ARPA funding changes continuously and keeping up with it is very time consuming. 

Woods also explained that he would be talking to the Commissioners about how the Town has been treated. We have not asked for anything for free.  They were crushing gravel and the town taxpayers pay taxes for some of that. We were asking them to allow the crushers to make a pile for the town to use. We were going to pay the crushers the cost of crushing the gravel.  The County came back with a price that would end up being more expensive than to just have it hauled in from a company in Polson.  Woods explained that he was extremely disappointed and felt the County was not being fair to the Town considering we have already paid for part of it with tax dollars.  We are having a hard time working with some of the County entities right now. We have had problems with the Sheriff’s department in the past but have a good relationship with them right now. 

O’keefe has been here drilling. They got the hole drilled and are hoping for 40gpm.

PUBLIC WORKS– Public works crew has been patching potholes and mowing. They took care of a huge tree that fell behind the Creekside. They will continue to work on street projects and have a list of projects that need to be done throughout the summer. 

FIRE DEPT- Slow so far, one fire on the 4th of July, 1 car wreck.  The ambulance has been busy over the past week. We are expecting a few more calls with all of this heat. We are going to see more fires as things dry out more and it stays hot with no moisture. 

POLICE- Report provided by Pfleger, read aloud by Woods. Pfleger has finished his third week training in Helena. 

CLERK- Clerk will be going to Training for League of Cities and Towns in Great Falls in October, just finished the Court training in Missoula. We received a grant from Town Pump for $4400.00 to purchase EMS uniforms and equipment. 

LIBRARY – Starla presented Library report. Gray reported that the library had a random audit for State Fund. We were able to get them everything then needed right away and that is all taken care of with no problems found. Library board submitted pay increase notices for staff.

ZONING COMPLIANCE-Notices have been sent out for Weed cutting.

PUBLIC COMMENT FOR EACH AGENDA ITEM WILL BE ALLOWED

NEW BUSINESS

STREET CLOSURE FOR MEMORIAL JULY 10, 2021-change of hours request- Judy has asked that the street closure and open container be extended until 2am.  Motion made by Stelter seconded by Smith 3-0 pass

SET PAY RATES FOR EMPLOYEES FOR FY22– Discussion on current pay rates and what pay rates should be set at for next fiscal year. A list of current pay rates was provided. Woods stated he would go through and make recommendations to the council and present it at the next meeting. Motion to set pay rates tabled Stelter/Smith 3-0 pass

VOTE TO APPROVE ACCEPT ARPA FUNDS AND APPOINT AN OFFICIAL OR EMPLOYEE TO TAKE ALL REQUIRED ACTIONS TO RECEIVE MONIES- Gray explained that the council needs to vote to accept ARPA funds and also recommended that the council appoints Mayor Woods to take all required action to receive monies regarding ARPA funds.  Motion made by Smith Second by Stelter 3-0 pass

RODEO GROUNDS UPGRADES Discussion only, Woods explained that there was a meeting with the Rodeo committee that Mayor Woods and Clerk Gray attended. They would like to look into grants and upgrades for the rodeo grounds. This year the rodeo had an estimated 1200 attendees on Saturday night and there needs to be more seating. We have the structures for the bleachers that need to be put together lying in the city pit. There also needs to be electrical upgrades made to the rodeo grounds. Other recommendations for improvements included fixing the announcers stand, bucking shoots and holding pens. 

PUBLIC COMMENT ON NON-AGENDA ITEMS

Woods called for public comment on non-agenda items

Ladonna Vollmer expressed concern about the speed limit on 2nd Ave S.  It was explained that the speed limit is 25 mph, which seems fast. The officers are aware that there have been some concern and have been patrolling and watching but are finding that people are driving within the speed limit but that they will continue to patrol and watch for speeders.

ADJOURN    

8:06  pm  Stelter/ Smith  3-0 

Dated this _________________Day of ________________________

Attest_______________________                 Signed____________________________